I love this style but while I am pretty good at putting neat and lovely outfits together I am not so good at adding that charmingly dishevelled look. It has inspired me for a while, though, and I want to try and incorporate some of it into my style.
I have highlighted in red the things that apply to me, although of course, it never really matters if you perfectly fit a description. A lot of the outfits on the second tumblr also seem to include items I have or want to have, which means it is a great style to take inspiration from, already having the basics.
I did not write the list. If you like it, please visit the original blogs.
Original Black Forest Mori Girl description by Shadyoaks
"Black Forest Mori via x-milkteeth.
BFM Checklist via Strega’s Forest:
- Wants to look like a witch or a dark fairy from the woods
- Likes to wear Dark, dusty colours, but also jewel and earthy tones.
- All white outfits can be pretty for a ghostly look.
- Vintage clothes are a must
- Antique, used or ragged laces and silks
- Flowers, Leaves, feathers, or antlers make pretty headpieces.
- Natural stones, bones, taxidermy and silver jewelry is best.
- Leather accessories (belts, pouches, cuffs, corsets…)
- Anything Furry could work
- Knitted Items, Handmade is best
- Layering is the key,
- Medieval, Victorian, Folklore and 1920’s inpirations
- Ethnic Clothes
- Hats. Big, quirky and always decorated. I need more hats.
- Floral patterns and animal prints
- Might have some Lolita or Steampunk inspiration
- Helena Bonham Carter is a great style icon.
- Dramatic silent movie make up, tribal paints or very natural look works fine.
- Legwear is fun to experiment with. Wearing stripey socks can add to the traditional witchy look I looove stripy socks.
- Can look flirtacious, seductive at times. Corsets are welcome for this look.
- Crushed velvet
- Prefers Dresses and Skirts, longer the better.
- Shawls, ponchos and hoods.
- Laced up boots, pointy shoes, victorian heels and clogs.
- Braided hair, messy curls, or dreads are good hairstyles.
- Likes anything spooky or creepy
- Collects oddities
- Might be attracted by witchcraft and esoterism
- Might tend to have a « natural »lifestyle
- Believes in Fairies, and Spirits
- Crafty Girl
- Has a familiar/pet, and most likely a cat or rats. I want a cat one day. A cat in a hat.
- Rather solitary girl,kind of an introvert
- Might prefer Dark Music scenes, from traditional goth, ambiant to Black Metal.
- Likes Tribal Fusion Dancing
- Strangeness over Prettiness
- Loves books. Old Bookstores are a favourite place.
- Somewhat rebellious, strong willed and free-spirited, but still Lady Like
- Romantic, Melancholic
- Might have little quircks, superstitions
- Loves Tea
- Folklore, Fairytales, Legends and Myths from the North are favourites, but might like Oriental cultures as well.
- Loves antiques.
- Thrifting is a favourite activity
- Always thinks « warm and cosy »
- Might be a bit messy, but always with style
- Might drink alcohol on occasions. Mead and spicy wines drunk in a horn, or strong alcoholin a pretty flask.
- Collects bottles and fiols
- Likes to take walks in the Forest, after the rain, at dusk or event at night.
- Preraphaelites, Arthur Rackham, William Bouguereau or Brian Froud are favourite artists.
Sort of like Mori Kei x Antique Kei x Gothic x Naturalist Kei x Curio…I’m ok with this.Image by Laura Makabresku, whose Flickr is amazing."
Some inspiration pictures. Mostly from Strega's Forest
She just looks amazing!
That dress is amazing. Look at the collar and layers! I love the look of bird skull jewellery but I got rid of mine when I got my little Isambard Steamparakeet, it made me sad.
I have some great shawls now, need to get them out. An ensemble like this might work.
I love crimson and black. I have a burgundy longish coat.
I have a jacket thing a lot like that and a ocuple of black hats. I want the skirt though.
Makes me wish I had more rings though I never wear them. I pull them around and take them off.
I love this, Mori from a Lolita base.
A faux fur hat might be cute.
Want a knitted poncho. My friend is making me antlers for another event.
I have a jumper similar to that.
I have brown boots. Want those socks though. I have similar gloves in brown.
I love striped tights and want more